CO2 Heat Pumps – How they work
Our animation below is all about how we used to do heating and cooling, and how now with a Glaciem CO2 Heat Pump, there is a much better way!
A heat pump is a device that transfers heat energy from a source of heat to a heat sink.
- In many industrial processes, heat pumps are applied to recover process waste heat. They are used in dehumidifaction, distillation and evaporation processes, and also for water heating and combined heating and cooling. There are major opportunities in the food and chemical industries. (source EHPA)
- Large heat pumps in commercial/institutional buildings use water loops (hydronic) for heat and cold distribution, so they can provide heating and cooling simultaneously. (source IEA)
Glaciem specialise in Commercial and Industrial Heat Pump applications.
The Coefficient of Performance (COP) is a measure of how much useful thermal work is done by a machine per unit of energy invested.
- Common electrical water heaters in most houses have a COP of ~1
- Gas fired water heaters commonly have a COP of ~0.85
- A heat pump for heating water can have a COP exceeding 5!
If your business is using gas to heat water, you should consider a CO2 Heat Pump! If your business also has a cooling requirement, you can drive further efficiencies.
For example, indoor swimming pools can heat water in pools and, depending on the configuration, provide some concurrent cooling to the indoor air space.
Hotels can potentially provide hot water for guests and provide concurrent cooling to chilled water systems for cooling rooms.
Food processing facilities such as dairies can generate industrial grade hot water for cleaning while cooling down their milk!
Heat pumps are an extremely flexible technology. Glaciem specialize in determining how they can best help your business!
Many businesses use gas water heating systems that were installed while gas was cheap. Gas pricing is now reaching parity with electricity in many global markets. The huge gains in COP means that switching over to an electric driven CO2 heat pump can produce significant savings.
Glaciem Solutions – CO2 Heat Pumps
High quality, High Efficiency CO2 Heat Pumps for many commercial and industrial applications
- Harness CO2‘s extraordinary capacity for heat transfer
Generate hot water as a by-product of cooling
Eliminate the need for electric or gas fired hot water generation
Backed by extensive Research and Development
Supported with expert design, comissioning and advice