2021 – Finalists “Premiers Export Award”
The SA Premiers Export Awards celebrate exporting excellence in South Australia by recognising the most dynamic and innovative businesses in our state.
Glaciem were proud to be announced 2021 Finalists for our work exporting natural refrigerant systems to Asia
2020 – Finalists “SA Climate Leaders Award 2020 – Climate Smart HVAC-R”
The SA Climate Leaders Awards recognise the achievements of individuals and organisations who take action to address climate change in South Australia.
Glaciem were proud to be announced 2020 Finalists for ‘Climate Smart HVAC-R’. Keep punching South Australia!
2020 – Finalists “South Australia’s Sir William Hudson Award” – Winners “Australian Engineering Excellence Award”
The University of South Australia and Glaciem Cooling Technology’s Super-efficient CO2 Refrigeration Integrated with Phase Change Energy Storage project has been named South Australia’s Sir William Hudson Award finalist and an Australian Engineering Excellence Award winner.
Announced during the virtual Australian Engineering Excellence Awards ceremony, the nomination for the Sir William Hudson Award will see the project go on to compete at the national level for the highest honor that an engineering project can receive from Engineers Australia.
2019 – Finalists “ANSTO Eureka Prize for Innovative Use of Technology” – Australian Museum
In 2019 we were proud to make it as finalists in the Australian Museum Eureka Awards for our cooling technologies.
In our category, the deserving winners were Professor Hala Zreiqat and her team at the University of Sydney, for producing the world’s first synthetic biomaterials capable of healing large bone defects. Learn more here.
2018 – “Excellence in Refrigeration” – AIRAH
AIRAH (the Australian Institute of Refrigeration, Air Conditioning and Heating) is Australia’s peak industry body representing HVAC&R services in the built environment. Every year, AIRAH call for nominations for the much coveted ‘Excellence in Refrigeration’ award, issued for achievements that represent significant developments for the Australian HVAC&R Industry. In October 2018 Glaciem Cooling Technologies won this award for its ground breaking Integrated Cooling Solution installed at ‘The Bend’ Motorsport Park (owned by the Peregrine Corporation), at Tailem Bend in South Australia.
The Integrated Cooling Solution has the following key points of difference when compared to traditional refrigeration systems;
- DP-CO2 Refrigeration – Natural, CO2 Only Refrigeration: The integration of indirect evaporative cooling with a R744 system enables high operational efficiency at ambient conditions >40°C, the advanced floating condenser temperature control also allows high efficiency in low ambient temperatures.
- Fully Integrated TES:a cost effective ‘thermal battery’, enables the end user to store renewable energy, or cheaper off-peak grid energy, as thermal energy highly efficiently, for seamless use in the cooling system when required. This newly developed -6⁰C enables TES to be used efficiently in refrigeration applications
- Forecasting algorithm providing ‘Intelligent Energy Management: the cloud-based software collects data from multiple sources, from the internet; National Energy Market pricing forecast, solar radiance forecast, weather data, from site; state of TES charge, current electrical demand, refrigeration load. This information allows the software to continuingly adjust the onsite control system enabling the onsite system to operate at its highest efficiency point. This optimises the onsite generation of renewable energy & also offers a technical hedge to users that are exposed to spot market electricity pricing fluctuations.
Each of the above on their own represent a significant technical advancement for the industry and coupled together are well placed to leave a measurable long-lasting legacy as they de-risks end users of refrigeration from the two key issues facing the industry.
Overall the project has been a resounding success and offers The Peregrine Corporation with a future proofed platform for their OTR convenience store/ petrol stations that is in line with their sustainability strategy. Glaciem are proud to be working with such a progressive company, and thank them for their kind support throughout this project.
You can learn more about Glaciem Cooling Technologies here.
2017 – “Applied Innovation for Integrated Cooling System” – Carbon Neutral Adelaide
The Glaciem Team were last night thrilled to join the Hon Ian Hunter MLC, Minister for Climate Change, the Right Honourable Lord Mayor, Martin Haese, and a broad range of people from across the Adelaide community, to celebrate the inaugural Carbon Neutral Adelaide Awards.
We’re proud as punch to have been announced winners of the ‘Applied Innovation’ award, in recognition of the technologies that we’ve developed here in Adelaide. The icing on the cake was to also be announced Finalists in the ‘Leadership’ category.
We encourage anyone who would like to learn more about the Carbon Neutral Adelaide initiative to visit their website here. Get involved in the push to make Adelaide this planet’s first carbon neutral city!
You can learn more about Glaciem Cooling Technologies here.
2015 Eureka Award – Phase Change Materials
ANSTO Eureka Prize for Innovative Use of Technology 2015
Associate Professor Frank Bruno and his team Dr Martin Belusko and Dr Steven Tay, have combined a number of innovations to provide an inexpensive alternative for storing electricity to be used for cooling. These innovations include concepts such as dynamic melting, ’coil-in-tank’ and a low-cost storage medium, all of which can be integrated with renewable energy sources.
- Watch Professor Bruno, Drs Belusko and Tay’s finalist video
- View Professor Bruno, Drs Belusko and Tay’s media release
- Nominated Finalist in the AIRAH 2014 Best HVAC&R Retrofit/Upgrade award
- Nominated Finalist in the B/HERT award 2016 for the Ashley Goldsworthy Award for Sustained Collaboration between Business and Tertiary Education